Search
Filters
Close

Statistics II

Course outline

 

General Information:

 

School: Economics & Social Sciences

Department: Business Administration

Level of Studies: Undergraduate

Course code: 403

Semester: D

Course title: Statistics II

ECTS: 5

Weekly teaching hours: 4

Type of course: mandatory/general background

Prerequisite courses: No

Language of instruction and exams: Greek

The course is offered to Erasmus students: No

Course URL: —

Learning outcomes:

-     Understanding instructions regarding the application of statistical methods, as well as concepts and procedures using a variety of exercises and examples.

-     Description of data and calculation of indicators that will briefly describe complex phenomena.

-     Drawing generalized conclusions about populations using samples from those populations.

-     Developing Statistical Thinking to Make Better Business Decisions.

-     Collection and analysis of business data with the aim of drawing correct conclusions that lead to improved decisions and consequently to the more efficient operation of a process of a department or even the entire company.

-     Gain fluency in data management through spreadsheets and statistical software for decision making.

-     Presentation of statistical topics in the context of fields such as accounting, finance, management and marketing and explanation and application of the specific methods in business activities.

-     Emphasis on interpretation and analysis of statistical results beyond mathematical calculations.

-     Hands-on practice in understanding the applications of statistics to business problems.

-     Use of business statistics scripts.

General Skills:

-     Search, analysis and synthesis of data and information, using the necessary technologies

-     Adaptation to new situations

-     Decision making

-     Autonomous work

-     Teamwork

-     Work in an international environment

-     Work in an interdisciplinary environment

-     Generating new research ideas

-     Project planning and management

-     Respect for diversity and multiculturalism

-     Respect for the natural environment

-     Demonstration of social, professional and ethical responsibility and sensitivity to gender issues

-     Development of criticism and self-criticism

-     Promotion of free, creative and inductive thinking

-     Other skills

Moreover, the course aims to develop the following general skills:

-     Critical ability and self-criticism

-     Ability to cooperate

-     Interpersonal skills

-     Search data using the necessary technologies

Course Content:

-     Two-sample hypothesis tests,

-     Analysing variance,

-     Control Criterion x2 and non-Parametric Control Criteria,

-     Detailed presentation of Simple Linear Regression,

-     Introduction to Multiple Regression,

-     Construction of a multiple regression model,

-     Time series forecasting.

Teaching & Learning Methods - Evaluation

-     Method of delivery: face-to-face

-     Use of information and communication technologies: Use of information and communication technologies in teaching, laboratory education, communication with students. Electronic communication with students, learning-process support through the “e-class” online platform.

Activities & Semester Workload

Lectures: 39

Study of references: 52

Submission of assignments: 26

Use of software: 26

Final exams: 3

Total: 146

 

Evaluation of students:

The Final grade of the course results from 70% of the final written exams, while the remaining 30% results from the individual assignments.

Recommended bibliography:

Greek

Levine David, Szabat Kathryn, Stephan David, Στατιστική: Βασικές Αρχές με Έμφαση στην Οικονομία και τις Επιχειρήσεις, Εκδόσεις: BrokenHill, 2018.

Φιλιππάκης Μ., Στατιστικές Μέθοδοι και Ανάλυση Παλινδρόμησης για τις νέες τεχνολογίες, Εκδόσεις: Τσότρας, 2016.

Douglas Downing, Jeffrey Clark, Στατιστική των Επιχειρήσεων, Εκδόσεις: Κλειδάριθμος, 2010.

Spiegel Murray R., Stephens Larry J., Στατιστική, Εκδόσεις: Τζιόλα, 2016.

Berenson M. L., Levine D. M., Szabat K. A., Βασικές Αρχές Στατιστικής για Επιχειρήσεις: Έννοιες & Εφαρμογές, Εκδόσεις: BrokenHill, 2018.

 

English

Hogg,R.V. and Tanis,E.A., Probability and Statistical Inference, Prentice Hall, 2000.

Aczel, A. D. and Sounderpandian, J., Complete Business Statistics, McGraw – Hill & Irwin, 2002.

Doane, D., Seward, L., Applied Statistics in Business & Economics, McGraw-Hill, 2013.

Jaggia, S., Kelly, A., Business Statistics: Communicating with numbers, McGraw-Hill, 2013.

Lind, D., Marshal, W., Wathen, S., Basic Statistics for Business and Economics, McGraw-Hill, 2013.