School: Economics & Social Sciences
Department: Business Administration
Level of Studies: Undergraduate
Course code: 204
Course title: Macroeconomics
Weekly teaching hours: 4
Type of course: mandatory/general background
Language of instruction and exams: Greek
The course is offered to Erasmus students: Yes
Upon the successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- analyze and explain basic topics and concepts of Macroeconomics.
- study and describe various problems of Macroeconomic Theory and Policy such as those concerning income, inflation, the operation of the financial system and the determination of Monetary policy.
- study, understand and describe the Fiscal policy and its effects on individuals and businesses.
- identify and analyze Public Debt, Public deficit / surplus, inflation and the effects they have on the economic activity of a country.
- analyze and explain exchange rates and the effects of exchange rate changes on the growth of an economy.
- Search, analysis and synthesis of data and information, using the necessary technologies
- Adaptation to new situations
- Decision making
- Autonomous work
- Work in an international environment
- Work in an interdisciplinary environment
- Generating new research ideas
- Project planning and management
- Respect for diversity and multiculturalism
- Respect for the natural environment
- Demonstration of social, professional and ethical responsibility and sensitivity to gender issues
- Development of criticism and self-criticism
- Promotion of free, creative and inductive thinking
- Other skills
Moreover, the course aims to develop the following general skills:
- Critical ability and self-criticism
- Ability to cooperate
- Interpersonal skills
- Search data using the necessary technologies
The general skills that the graduate will have acquired are:
1) The ability to search, analyze and synthesize data and information. This ability, combined with the ability to use the new technologies he will have acquired, will facilitate the process of making rational decisions.
2) The graduate will have the ability to work independently as well as in a group, as well as to work in an international and interdisciplinary environment.
3) The graduate will also have the ability to generate new research ideas.
Nevertheless, all of the above will be accomplished with respect to diversity, multiculturalism and the natural environment, in the demonstration of social, professional and ethical responsibility and sensitivity to gender issues, in the exercise of criticism and self-criticism, and in the promotion of free, creative and inductive thinking.
1st LECTURE: Fundamental principles governing individual choice. The Big Picture of Macroeconomics
2nd LECTURE: GDP and Consumer Price Index. Exercises.
3rd LECTURE: Unemployment and Forms of Unemployment. Exercises.
4th LECTURE: Inflation and its effects on the development of an economy. Deflation
5th LECTURE: Long-term Economic Growth.
6th LECTURE: Income and Expenditure.
7th LECTURE: Savings, Investment Spending and Financial System.
8th LECTURE: The Debt Capital market
9th LECTURE: Savings, Investment Spending and Financial System.
10th LECTURE: Money, Bank.
11th LECTURE: The international Economy
12th LECTURE: Macroeconomics: Facts and Ideas
13o LECTURE: Review of Macroeconomics-Exercises.
Teaching & Learning Methods - Evaluation
- Method of delivery: face-to-face and/or distance learning
- Use of information and communication technologies: Use of information and communication technologies in teaching, laboratory education, communication with students. Electronic communication with students, learning-process support through the “e-class” online platform.
Activities & Semester Workload
Laboratory practice: 26
Study of references: 40
Submission of assignments: 40
Exam preparation: 40
Final exams: 2
Evaluation of students:
- Multiple Choice Test or Written Exam or, Oral Exam 90%
- Essay Development 10%
The above methods are accessible to students.
Μακροοικονομική, Krugman Paul R.,Wells Robin Εkd. Broken Hill
Μακροοικονομική: Αρχές και Πολιτική, BaumolW.J., BlinderA.S. Εkd. Broken Hill
Παραδόσεις πολιτικής οικονομίας Μακροοικονομική - Τόμος Α΄ Θεόδωρος Παπαηλίας. Εκδ.ΚΡΙΤΙΚΗ